Wolverhampton City Archives
Wolverhampton City Archives houses a wealth of materials relating to the history of all areas now within the city of Wolverhampton including Bilston, Bushbury, Penn, Tettenhall and Wednesfield. Constantly growing, the Archives’ vast collections include maps, books, census returns, newspapers, records from local schools, churches, clubs, societies and businesses, electoral registers, and indexes to births, deaths and marriages. There are also over 30,000 photographs, plus films, sound recordings, memorabilia and much more.
A city landmark, this Grade II* listed building was built in the mid-18th century as a home for the wealthy Molineux family, before becoming a hotel in the 1870s. Having fallen into disrepair after closing in 1979, the building has since been fully restored, with the impressive wood panelled Oak Room and ornate Rococo Room giving a glimpse into the former life of the building. The room is now used as Beatties heritage room.
The Molineux Hotel in Wolverhampton is an 18th-century former mansion house known as Molineux House, which later served as a hotel and currently, following restoration serves as a local authority facility. It is a Grade II* listed building.
John Molyneux (b1685) a great-grandson of Sir John Molyneux Bt of Teversal Manor, near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire (see Molyneux Baronets) settled in Wolverhampton in about 1700. His son Benjamin Molyneux (later known as Molineux), a wealthy ironfounder and banker, built a new three storeyed five bayed mansion on the then outskirts of the town in about 1720. George Molineux, who resided at Molineux House, was High Sheriff of Staffordshire in 1793. An additional Georgian style south wing was added towards the end of the 18th century, possibly by George Molineux, and there were further alterations and extensions including a belfry turret in the 19th century.
The Molineux family sold the property in about 1860 and the new owner created a public pleasure park on the grounds. In about 1870 the old house was converted for use as an hotel. In 1889 the pleasure grounds were closed and the park was leased out to Wolverhampton Wanderers FC. The hotel was closed down in 1979 and for many years the building stood empty and neglected. Various plans for redevelopment of the site failed and in 2003 the building was gutted by fire.
In 2005, with the support of a grant from English Heritage, major restoration began to convert the property into a facility to house the City of Wolverhampton Archives. It finally opened to users on 10 March 2009; the service had previously operated from part of the building on Snow Hill previously occupied by Rackhams department store.