Wolverhampton Town City Centre
With so much to do in Wolverhampton it's hard to know where to begin.
(image taken in Queen Square 1913)
Bilston is about two miles south-east of Wolverhampton. It is an ancient site, mentioned in the Domesday Book, and was a small market town long before...
(image is the Town Hall in 1900)
Situated about ten miles north of Wolverhampton, the land on which the village stands was given to the Bishop of Lichfield as a private hunting reserve.
(image is 17th century Boscobel House, famous as a hiding place for King Charles II during his escape to France after the Civil War.)
Bloc's village was part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia and it was mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086. It is now a northern suburb of Walsall...
(image Promenade Gardens and Fountain, Bloxwich, late 1920's)
Over 50 years ago hiring a rowing boat on the canal at Brewood was quite the thing to do. People came out from the towns to participate and to picnic....
(image of Brewood Grammar School in 1910)
If you travel only a short distance from the Midlands and are asked where you live, the reply 'Codsall, near Wolverhampton' invariably sets the enquirer visualising factory chimneys, heavy industry and grime. Not So...(aerial image from 1930)
Codsall Wood is a hamlet of about 150 people on the edge of the large parish of Codsall, about 7 miles north-west of Wolverhampton. For centuries most...
(image is Pendrell Hall 1913)
Coseley is situated about three miles north of Dudley and, like other villages surrounding this expanding centre, has been taken into the Metropolitan...
(image is St Chads Coseley)
Coven was originally a manor in the parish of Brewood. It is situated between Cannock and Wolverhampton on the western fringe of the Black Country.
(image is The Rainbow public house in 1951)
Although not mentioned in the Domesday Book, Darlaston is an ancient village, mentioned in documents concerning William de Darlaston in 1245. It is no...
(image is The Bull Stake in the 1920s)
Himley & Swindon
Himley (spelt 'Himelie' in the Domesday Book) is a small village in a rural area on the edge of the Black Country and about six miles south of Wolverh...
(image of Himley Hall taken at a British Red Cross Society fete in 1944)
On the south-west boundary of Wolverhampton the dense housing suddenly gives way to open country. This is Green Belt land, holding in the great West M...
(image of Penn Hall)
Sedgley is an ancient parish, although now it has been absorbed into the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley. It is about three miles to the north west of ...
(image 1966, another 'classic' view down Dudley Street )
Shareshill is a small village lying 6 miles north of Wolverhampton and 4 miles south-west of Cannock just off the A460. The name Shareshhill originate...
(Shareshill Church : sepia drawing by T.P.Wood 1837)
On the edge of Wolverhampton, Tettenhall still manages to retain something of the quality of a village, with its old houses and green.
(image of Tettenhall pool in 1938)
Trysull & Seisdon
These two villages have a combined population of 1000 and lie in the south of the county, about eight miles southwest of Wolverhampton. Seisdon gave i...
(image of Trysull Church approx 1910)
Upper & Lower Gornal
There are numerous suggestions for the derivation of the name Gornal. It could be from the Anglo-Saxon 'cweorn', or from Middle English 'quern', there...
(image The night in 1940 when the Germans bombed Upper Gornal)
Wednesfield, just two miles north-east of Wolverhampton, is possibly the oldest of the Black Country townships. It is another place dedicated to Wotan...
(image taken in 1912 of Chapel of St. Thomas)
Willenhall was an early Saxon settlement -'The Meadowland of Willa'. Willenhall was mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086.
(image is The Market Place in 1904)
Wombourne is a large overgrown village in the south-west corner of the county, close to the bounds of both Shropshire and Worcestershire,
(image is an aerial viiew taken in 1960)