Coseley is situated about three miles north of Dudley and, like other villages surrounding this expanding centre, has been taken into the Metropolitan Borough. It, like Brierley Hill, was largely created by the Industrial Revolution, rather than evolving from an ancient parish.
A possible derivation of the name Coseley is from 'Colresleye', 'the charcoal burners' wood'. This is mentioned in Lady Wul fruna's Charter in AD 994.
A 16th century writer describes her Well of Healing as:-
'Ladie Wulfruna's Sprynge wher shee usyd to come and washe ...it hathe curyd manie as it were myraculouslie healynge ye lamie, ye weake, ye infirme, as manie ther be can testyfie.'
The region developed rapidly as a centre for coal mining. The parish church, Christ Church, was built in 1830 by Thomas Lee. An Ebenezer Baptist chapel was also built in Birmingham New Road in 1856. A windmill in Oak Street, minus its sails, was long ago converted to a house.
The village information above is taken from The West Midlands Village Book, written by members of the West Midlands Federation of Women's Institutes and published by Countryside Books. Click on the link Countryside Books to view Countryside's range of other local titles.