These two villages have a combined population of 1000 and lie in the south of the county, about eight miles southwest of Wolverhampton. Seisdon gave its name to the County Hundred in Saxon times and is mentioned in the Domesday Book.
The mill, a Grade II listed building in Trysull, has now been converted into a lovely dwelling house, standing on the edge of Smestow Brook, but the machinery and wheel, which was made in Kidderminster, are preserved, together with some old Russian pine beams, 14 inches thick. Two pairs of the three original French grinding stones were sold to the Staffordshire Council, the other remaining.
There is also an old manor house in Trysull dated 1653, which has been lovingly restored.
Trysull church dates back to the 12th century and has a beautiful screen in the sanctuary. There was a bequest which says that the verger should be paid £1 per year to keep the congregation awake during the sermon. This has never been necessary! There is a set of six bells in the belfry, the two earliest dating to the 1700s and the heaviest weighing 11 hundredweight. Last year 20 handbells were acquired, dating to 1885 and these are regularly rung by a band of enthusiastic ringers, ages ranging from 7 to 71 years.
In Seisdon there was a bequest from a Thomas Rudge, whereby money and income from lands, were left to provide the teaching of poor children in the parish, in reading, writing, arithmetic and the Catechism. This was called the Free School Charity, and is now administered by a Trust to provide educational outings and Bibles for school leavers.
There is also the John Rudge Trust, which provides monies for three almshouses and charitable gifts. These are now going to be replaced by modern bungalows, still for people in need.
The original Court House for this area still stands and is a stone house in Seisdon.
Trysull has two pubs, a club and a hotel. The village green is a very pleasant area, with a flagpole in the middle, around which, at times, the children do Maypole dancing. Two trees were planted here to commemorate the birth of His Royal Highness Prince Charles.
The village information above is taken from The Staffordshire Village Book, written by members of the Staffordshire Federation of Women's Institutes and published by Countryside Books. Click on the link Countryside Books to view Countryside's range of other local titles.